Sunday, May 12, 2013

My newest obsession....Granola Bars

Granola Bars/Protein Bars/Energy Bars


I have always thought that granola bars were healthy, I grab one on the go if I have missed breakfast or offer them up to the kids any chance I get.  This past weekend I read the ingredient list and ummm more nasty sugar then you might want to believe and a few ingredients that sound healthy but I am almost positive they are not.   Soo....that lead me on a Saturday recipe search and so far in the past 12 hours I have made 2 different kinds.  One is perfect for my hubby and the other is perfect for my children and is school safe.  As my son just told me "I LOVE these, do not make anything else"

Please note the recipe I am about to share, should not be sent to school or functions where Nut allergies may be present.   For those of you who are not familiar just a quick note about nut allergies,you must not give these (or any nut products) to your children in the morning and then send them to school.  Children are sometimes so allergic that if there is any left on the skin/clothes/etc, even not visible to the eye a child may react.  Be cautious....




"Peanut Butter Cliff Bars"


2.5 C Rice Krispies/Puff rice/Brown Rice Krispies
2 C quick cooking oats
6 tbls oat bran flakes
1/2 C chopped nuts (cashews, almonds and peanuts)
1/2 C honey
1/4 C brown sugar
2/3 Cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla 
  1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl
  2. Bring the honey and brown sugar to just before a boil, you want the sugar to be dissolved and the honey to be liquid
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla.
  4. Pour this mixture into the bowl with your granola, stir until well mixed
  5. This mixture must be pressed into a parchment lined 13x9 pan or cookie sheet if you rather.  If it is not pressed tightly it will just crumble, my little trick I take a piece of parchment paper and press down hard and repeat until it becomes firm.
  6. Put in the fridge and once it firms up cut into bars, then wrap in saran wrap for a quick grab on your way out the door or put it in an air tight container
  7. These bars keep up to a week in the fridge
I will add some pictures the next time I make them, my hubby loves these as they are packed full of protein and there fore a perfect protein supplement when working out.


*a version of this recipe was found online, I have modified this recipe to fit our families needs




No comments:

Post a Comment