Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Rhubarb pudding!!!

Rhubarb Pudding


I know we are trying to be healthy but for some reason this is my one dessert that only comes around once a year and for such a short time and I eat a lot of it.  This is a British dessert, so if you love the flavors of tart and sweet this maybe one to try.  I prefer just the tart but most love the sugary topping that goes along with it.

Ingredients

2.5 tbls of oil (original recipe calls for shortening)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of milk
pinch of salt
1 cup of flour (heaping)

Cake Directions

  1. Wisk sugar, oil and egg together, then add the dry ingredients.  This dough should be thicker, not liquid  (add more flour if need be)
  2. Cut up ruhbarb and fill your container 3/4 full, add 1/2 cup sugar on top of the ruhbarb
  3. Heat oven to 350F
  4. Pour cake batter over the ruhbarb, spread to the edges
  5. Bake for 1 hour or till the cake is cooked (hint * you may want to put a pan underneath as sometimes this can boil over
    I always break some of the crust off to check see if it is ready
Sauce Directions (optional)

1.5 tsp flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp vanilla
  1. Boil 1 cup of water in kettle
  2. add all ingredients including the boiling water into a pot
  3. Boil on stove till it thickens
  4. Add to each serving, this sauce will keep in a container.

Hints

* you can substitute apples if you do not like Rhubarb
* I have tried for years to dbl this recipe and every time I make a single batch I am reminded just how much better it is.  So take my advice and do not dbl it


This recipe came from my great grandmother so it has been around for a long time :)



No comments:

Post a Comment