Sunday, November 24, 2013

"Hard Bars" a hard granola bar

"Hard Bars" got their name from my children, so the name has stuck.  This is one granola bar that I love and I find easy to grab on the run, and that is VERY important since I always seem to be on the run.  This morning brings a baking morning for my eldest and I....

Here is the recipe, it is pretty plain and simple but I think that is what makes these perfect.

Hard Bars (12 single thin bars)

1.5 cups of Large Flake Oats
3/4 cup of Rice Krispies
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Baking soda
3 tbl corn meal (not heaping)
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl oil
1 tbl coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbl brown or white sugar

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix Oats, rice krispies, salt, baking soda, corn meal and sugar together
  3. Put oil (if you do not have coconut oil just use 2tbs of oil or all coconut oil if you rather) and honey together and warm up for about 1 minute in microwave
  4. Mix honey mixture and oats together till well mixed
  5. Place in a oiled, lined or I use a silicone 9x9 baking dish and press down HARD.  I use saran wrap and then place it over and press hard or use a dish to help
  6. Bake for 20 min or till golden brown, if your mixture appears to be loose press down again once you have taken it out of the oven.  I usually do this 
  7. Let cool for 15-20 min and then cut carefully
  8. Allow bars to cool completely and then wrap them individually for a quick treat or in a container.  I place mine in the fridge but you do not have too.
HINT:  These are very crumbly and the more you press them down the harder they become, I am still working with it and learning just how much I need to press down.
ENJOY!  These are nut free and great for school

*these were adapted from a few different recipes found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment